UberCast with UberConference’s own Creative Director, Alex Cornell
How does one overcome creative block? Our Creative Director and cofounder here at UberConference, Alex Cornell went and asked the most creative and inspiring people he knew and wrote a book about it called Breakthrough!: Proven Strategies to Overcome Creative Block and Spark Your Imagination.
On top of being a new author, this Duke grad is also a musician, aridiculously talented videographer, maker of the Plancast penguin, and many other beautiful things on the web. Alex is a creative force! He’s also responsible for pretty much everything you see out of UberConference from our website design, logo, recently launched iPhone and Android apps and too many other things to list here. All from his creative mind! So he definitely knows a bit about creativity and block and how to overcome it. Here are a few tips he’s pocketed along the way:
1. Working in a fast-paced environment helps you eliminate unnecessary distractions or hurdles. We’re on fire over here at UberConference and this dude does quality work fast!
2. Make the stakes high. Alex recommends going somewhere, getting an expensive hotel and holing up for the weekend to just push through and do the work. You’ll be spending some money so you’re going to make it count.
3. If you find yourself stuck, let it go and come back to it later. Sometimes hurdles resolve themselves after a while.
4. Take a break. Walk around and clear your mind. It’s important to just step back a bit when needed.
5. Putting random sentences together in a book can help you come up with creative visualizations for campaigns or writing. Very effective at reworking the mind (there’s an example of how one does this exactly in the podcast).
Get Alex’s new book “Breakthrough” on Amazon
*Also available at Barnes and Noble, Urban Outfitters and various independent bookstores.