How to Network Like a Boss – Cass Phillips, San Francisco’s event queen, gives us some great tips on how to command a crowd on the first UberCast
So we’ve gone and started an UberConference podcast. We call it the UberCast. Using the power of our technology, we’ll interview some of the best and brightest minds in business to help you go about yours. First up is a name widely known in any Silicon Valley startup circle, Cass Phillips.
You wouldn’t know it if you saw her in action, but Cass Phillips, owner of the popular event blog Web Wallflower, is actually an introvert. This can be a crippling trait for any business owner who needs to reach the right people at networking conferences. Lucky for you, she shares all her insider secrets on how to talk to anyone, become an influencer and connect with the crowd at any event.
Key Networking Tips:
- People love to talk so really try to listen.
- Add to the conversation with insight. Challenge the person you are having a conversation with. Be authentic!
- Learn to be excited for others.
- Carry an empty glass with you in case you need to duck out of a stale or unproductive convo.
- Be honest, but only if you feel brave. If you are not truly interested in what the person has to say it’s okay to let them know you are not the right person to talk to. You can also politely offer to keep your eyes and ears open for someone they would want to connect to.
Links mentioned in the podcast: